Korma is a dish originating in the Indian subcontinent, consisting of meat or vegetables braised with yogurt or cream, water or stock, and spices to produce a thick sauce or glaze.
Korma has its roots in the Mughlai cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. A characteristic Mughal dish, it can be traced back to the 16th century and to the Mughal incursions into the region. Kormas were often prepared in the Mughal court kitchens, said to have been served to Shah Jahan and his guests at the inauguration of the Taj Mahal.
In this simple recipe we will prepare a classic Mutton Korma. First we will add a flavor of spices to the mutton. Then we will braise the Mutton with the spice flavors and curd. This will incorporate the flavor with the meat juices. Post the braising; we will do a Dum Pukht.
Ginger Garlic Paste
|Ginger||3 to 4 inch||Scrap the skin using a spoon|
- Using a blender, make a fine paste of the Ginger and Garlic. You would have to add some water while blending. Not more than 2 tablespoon
Marinate the Mutton
|Turmeric Powder||1 tea spoon|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tea spoon|
|Coriander Powder||3 tea spoon|
- Wash and clean mutton.
- In a large bowl, add the mutton, curd, turmeric powder, Red Chili powder, Corainder Powder and Ginger Garlic Paste
- Using your fingers, mix everything.
- Leave the mutton to marinate for around 1 to 3 hours.
Onion Tomato Paste
- Cut one onion and two tomatoes
- Blend the onion and Tomato using a blender
- Keep aside
Cashew -Coconut Paste
|Cashew nuts||2 tablespoon||Broken ones are best|
|Coconut Powder||2 tablespoon|
- Using a blender, make a fine paste of the Cashew and Coconut powder. You would have to add some water while blending. Not more than 2 tablespoon
- Keep aside.
Ghee 1 table spoon Mustard Oil 15 table spoon Onions 3 large Chopped Khada Garam Masala Water 1 cup Tomato 1 Finely chopped Green Chili 3 Long sliced
- In a pressure cooker, heat the ghee and the mustard
- Add the onions and sauté till golden brown. Remove the fried onions using a slotted spoon. Do not remove the oil from the cooker.
- In the same Kadai, add the Khada Garam Masala
- Fry for around 1 minute.
- Add the marinated Mutton and mix well. If required add some water. Not more than 1 cup of water. If possible, avoid adding any water.
- Cover the lid and the cook for 2 whistles .(This technique is known as Braising)
- Release the air
- Add the Onion-Tomato Paste, Cashew -Coconut Paste, the Chopped Tomato and Green Chili. Add some water. Not more than 1 cup of water.
- Mix well
- Reduce the flame.
Cover the lid and give the cooker 2 whistles..(This technique is known as Dum Pukht)
Garnish with Fried Onions, green chili and enjoy with Rice.